Translate

Search This Blog

Friday 6 June 2014

Greg Rochlin - 500 excellent words

I think this is one of the most professional pieces of work from Greg. It has everything to keep the reader interested.





CONFESSION - Chapter 10  

Many years have passed since that day. I suppose I have found happiness, in my own way.

It's true that now I work at a job I like well enough, although Jenna thinks I could have done better. I sell life insurance, and I like to think it gives the client something to look forward to — giving succour to his loved ones when he passes away.

Danny dropped out of geology and became a carpet salesman. I had always thought he had a head for mathematics, and was keen for him to be an actuary, but he would have none of it. He does not tend to take my advice.

Elise became an audiologist and lives in Edinburgh with her boyfriend.

As for Iqbal (or Ian, as he now calls himself), in the end he preferred to stay with William. I think Jenna as not averse to this arrangement. Slowly, he had less and less time for me. He once said I was a "mystery man". He graduated in aeronautical engineering last year, and wanted to apply for the RAF, but William said it was too risky, what with the security checks he would have to undergo.

And as for my father, he never did come to stay. It was a wild dream, as it turns out. Especially under the circumstances. You see, I am not his child.

We were in that dark room, the two of us shut up together.

"I'm so sorry, Thomas, I had to tell you. You see, Marion had an affair while I was in hospital for three months."

He paused to allow what he said to sink in. "The timing, you understand."

He went on, "We brought you up as our own. But I am afraid it was never the same between your mother and I."

I tore myself away from him. I felt the walls closing in on me, everything seemed false, the books were all laughing, and the photo still in my hand now depicted strangers.

I had to be alone, I fled, into the car, and drove and drove, until I was in my own home in its suburban street, with its honeysuckle growing up the wall and its wonderful oak tree. Then, a week later, while I was still stewing in my stupid anger, Ronald (for that's how I think of him now) went into a depression, it seems, caught a bad cold that grew into pneumonia, and passed away in the space of days.

I often wonder if it is not better to hold secrets inside of oneself.

Sometimes, however, I wake in the night, and the moon is reflecting off the leaves of the apple tree outside the window, casting its light through the flimsy curtain, onto Jenna's round face. Then I think of one of the happiest moments in my life, the moment when Ronald came to my side in the hospital, unscathed, and with shining eyes.




1 comment:

  1. A great piece. Sometimes when we write we are unaware how good something is until we re read it several weeks or months later. Then we read with amazement and ask ourselves - 'Did I really write that?'

    ReplyDelete