Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday 25 May 2014

Deep Water - Chapter 7 written by Mat Clarke

Mat Clarke is one of the original 'Minters' and here is chapter 7 from 'Deep Water,' a serial that became one of the most popular in the early days. Mat is still a member of The Story Mint and also runs his own writers club in Melbourne. Last year they published a book of short stories. Mat is an actor and can be seen on Australian TV in many dramas.

Another gulp of water. I gag and more water shoots into my mouth. I can’t stay up, oh god I can’t stay up. My leg hits something hard. I’m being dragged along the river floor. I can see the sky past the few inches of water above my head. I could be closer to the shore than I thought. I could stand! I wave my arms through the thick water and turn myself around and face down stream and push against the rocks below, the life jacket helps me surface. Air partially fills my lungs again. The shore is only yards away; although it’s the opposite side to where Artie has been left.

I scramble over the wet slippery obstacles until I’m back onto sun cooked rocks. Water spurts out from my stomach and I cough and shake. Everything has gone so wrong and Artie is dying. No rafts and no people are in sight but I can hear far off voices and yelling. A track leads along the river. It’s my only option. For Artie’s sake I push myself up and hobble faster than I think I should on whatever is broken in my foot. But for Artie, I have to for Artie.

‘Help! Bruce, anyone, help me, I’m over here. Hey!
My voice echoes off the walls but there is no return cry. I can hear someone screaming. Others must be hurt as well. It’s like a nightmare. It is a nightmare. Of all the stupidest trips this has to be the worst. Why couldn’t Artie just take me on a date. Why couldn’t Artie realise what I feel for him. Idiot! My hand flies to my mouth. He’s hurt and may be dead and here I am I’m cursing him. The hot sun is warm but my face is still wet. I keep crying like a pitiful child but can’t help myself. I gulp a chunk of air like it’s going to run out, sniff and try not to think of future birthdays without Artie.

The track takes a sharp turn moving away from the River. A hiss. I step back into a prickly bush. A snake the size of a cell phone is coiled and upright. It’s almost comical in its size but still scary and looks like it may just attack out of spite.
‘Help, anybody.’
My throat feels so sore. I can’t even yell out properly. I’m so useless.
But then an answer to my call and I can hear running along the path.
‘I’m here! Artie’s hurt we need to help him. Hurry.’
Then someone comes into view and stops on the other side of the small snake. He isn’t wearing the wet gear like everyone in the rafts. Instead he’s in camouflage clothes and a rifle is slung over his back. He steps forward and crushes the snake, then just stands there as if waiting for a reaction.

Mat Clarke (Australia)     copyright Mat Clarke 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment