Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Get out of the rut and be more creative

I spend a lot of time on the keyboard like most writers and suffer with stiffness in the legs, backache, neck ache, tired eyes....get the picture. I hate getting to the point when I feel the pain and have to stop. Rarely do I then go back to work that night. Keeping fit and healthy is something a lot of writers just don't do. We spend hours writing about the exploits of our heroes and the fights they get into. Our characters are healthy; rarely do they suffer with a bad back or tired eyes. So why are we any different? I have found, and so has my editor, that as I get tired or start getting neck pain etc, my writing suffers. Sometimes the idea is there but what comes up on the screen is drivel. I took a good long look at myself (egged on by my marketeer, Irene) and decided I had to divide my time up and start managing my day in such a way that I get all my work done and stay fit. This is what I do but I would suggest writers work out a routine that is comfortable for them.

1.  I get up around 8.00

2.  Go to the gym for half hour, Pool for half hour, sauna and steam room.

3.  Spend an hour doing chores - shopping or hair cut etc

4.  Two hours for E mailing and social networking

5.  One hours lunch

6.   2.00 I start to write - 3 hours.

7.   Dinner two hours

8.  Writing 6 hours (maybe watch TV for an hour or two sometimes)

9.  Midnight - bed

Weekends - I am now taking them off. I have a life outside my book and being anti social isn't where I want to be..

I used to argue that a writer needs to write whenever the feeling comes over him. Well, to a certain extent that is true but I think its all a matter of training ones self. I know there will be times when you can't keep strictly to the routine but if you keep to the timetable as much as possible you will find your mind is more active - and that means more creative.

Ray Stone

No comments:

Post a Comment