Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday 3 April 2014

Addressing a writer's worst fear - 'nobody loves me'

If you have any thoughts on this subject either leave a comment or write to me and I will post your article here. I look forward to hearing from you.


I have spent a total of six years writing four novels and I'm on my fifth. I have probably spent over two thousand dollars on editorial and design and formatting work. I now have two paperbacks and three kindle plus another two books that need editing. I am also writing my next thriller. Returns for all that work will probably buy me a modest meal with a pint of beer. I have used social media and tried to get the "Oh yes, I'll write you a review, Ray - send me a copy" to actually write a review. Very few bother. It is no surprise that a lot of writers give up after a couple of years and concentrate on the day job. They sink into depression wondering why nobody loves them - or their work. It is hard to train the mind to become realistic. There are thousands of us w riting and a lot are really talented. So why write? Well - why spend money on the lottery? However small the chance that a writer's talent will be recognized, he or she keeps writing and hoping. We also keep writing because we love being creative. My answer to this collective depression is simple. Carry on and be happy as each creation is published. The one thing that keeps me going is the thought that my books are out there forever, stored at Amazon and Smashwords waiting for some reader to like me and buy three hours of make believe entertainment. I am not Charles Dickens although I wish I could write like him, nor am I C.S Forrester or  Jack London. I am Ray Stone, author and somewhere out in the world I have a fan. I say 'a' fan because at the moment only one reader has bought my book in paperback form. I have decided that I will not be giving the book away to those who want to review. Reviews come from readers I don't know who have genuinely paid me compliments and look forward to the next book. I have received some really good ones from readers of the kindle version of my latest book, Isia's Secret. One of the most satisfying things about E publishing and self publishing through Amazon and Smashwords is that we are leaving something behind that can justifiably be called our own footprint. Unlike traditional published works, our books will not get pulped and maybe because they are always available, not forgotten. I can be satisfied if I see a 'drbble' each month of say four books sold. That means more to me than waiting for a check. It means four readers read the synopsis, liked what they read, and bought the book. I have an audience and whether that audience numbers four or four thousand I feel a little pride and satisfaction. We writers should stop getting depressed and enjoy ourselves. Our work is out there forever and who knows, we may get discovered.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment