Translate

Search This Blog

Friday 25 April 2014

Letter from Malta

It is hard to avoid politics on Malta. Everybody has an opinion and knows how to handle an issue better than the government. This month we have two main issues that have come about because of the new Prime Minister’s election promises. These issues have a serious side to them but watching bureaucracy tackle them can have a funny side. The first was to reorganize the public transport routes and the fares. The problem is, that in order to carry out this promises the incumbent company, Arriva, accused of making too much profit from the tourists, had to go. That was the easy part. The government came up with a great idea and put out tenders to coach and tour operators to each have a set list of routes that they would maintain. In the meantime the government hired the same operators to take the place of Arriva and paid astronomical fees to the operators for the hire of the coaches which were mixed with government owned coaches. (are you with me so far?) The Prime Minister became more popular by announcing that instead of separate fares for tourists, non-Maltese residents, and the Maltese, we would all pay the same – 50c. That went down really well except with the operators. The old fares were $2.40 – $1.60 – 50c respectively. So an awful lot of revenue has been lost. Now it appears the government cannot get any operators interested in running the public transport because – yep…not enough revenue. The buses are still running and services have improved slightly but the government still has to pay the operators for the hire of some coaches. Looking into my crystal ball I can see a lot of Maltese up in arms when the bus fares go back up – unless of course the government reintroduces a tiered fare system. I wish I worked in this government…there’s always something different going on to stop one from getting bored.
The government has made a deal with a gas company to supply our power station with cheap gas and we are doing away with the expensive oil fuel. I was looking forward to having cheaper power, another promise that the government have indeed followed through on – except it has got a little confusing for me. I recently moved to another apartment and have a card operated electricity meter. I pay up front for the power and slide a card into a slot every week. The cost is the same as it was before when I had a traditional meter. However, the reduction of everyone’s bill is 15%. I have two problems with this. No one at the moment knows if the 15% is coming off the service charge or the actual amount of power used. Second – whatever the 15% comes off of, I need to change the meter as the card meter will not automatically register more power for each card. Just to keep the issue alive in the press here, there are now people who are objecting to the supply gas ship being permanently moored offshore. It looks like a huge white three hump camel. I have to admit that living here is an interesting experience. I love the Maltese – until they start shouting politics.
My own work is going well and both books are now in print. At the end of June, Isia’s Secret will be available on audio in the USA and the UK. The Trojan Towers will follow. By the end of the year the second of the Enda Osin Mysteries will be published. One last advert – Isia’s Secret will be FREE on Amazon May 1st for five days.
Well, weather wise Malta has been slow to warm up this year. We are still no hotter than 75 during some days and this weekend we are expecting rain. I should not complain anyway. By the time I get back from America it will be a daily toast at 85+. I do intend to go to the gym and swimming pool a lot more this year. The exercise really helps keep me fit and the walk there and to the shops along the front gives me plenty of fresh air.





Ciao, ciao my friends, I love you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment