Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Going Audio

A short while ago my friend and fellow author Enos Russell, had some of his work produced on audio through ACX, an Amazon affiliate. I was interested at the time but being in the throes of publishing Isia's Secret, I put the subject to the back of my mind. Two months further on and I have just had both my thrillers published in print. I am a great advocate of the E book and know the future reading industry will fully embrace the digital age, not that there will no longer be books in print but the market for print is going to diminish. At this time though, my instincts tell me that it will be several years before we see most fiction being dispensed on line. I want my readers to have the widest possible choice and despite the cost of print, a lot of readers still pay more to turn pages with their fingers. So now I have the books available through all the outlets and on Amazon. Then I remembered what Enos had told me. He was having a little more success with audio than with digital.
Readers nowadays are on the move and being able to listen to a book in the car or while out jogging means entertainment is hands-free while we enjoy other pursuits or while we work. Nothing new there since this form of self entertainment has been available since we invented the tape cassette. There are two points I want to make. First, what interests me about audio, as with digital books - your work is out there forever, even after you have gone to the big digital library in the sky. However small or large the financial returns, writers can now leave something for the grandchildren or a loved one. My other point is one of presentation and the lasting impression that writers hope their work will make on the reader. I listened to the demo that Enos has of one of his books and was amazed at the quality and the diction of the narrator's voice. The whole presentation and the impact that an actor's voice has on the listener creates, I think, a clearer understanding of the author's style and mood, and a greater understanding of the characters. I did not give a thought to the narrator apart from the clarity of voice, as good as she was, but to the author. Listening to them talk and act through their characters is a unique experience, especially if you know the author.
Two days ago I contacted ACX and went through a painless procedure to present my books and make an offer to producers, listing the kind of narrator I wanted and style of voice etc. You never know who might get interested and it can take some time. So I got the shock of my life. Two days later I now have a firm contract for both books and the cost is nothing. I share the royalties with the producer.
I am now waiting to hear the sample 15 minutes before David Parkinson, my narrator, goes ahead with Isia's Secret. I'll let you know what happens and will post his audio sample here so you may hear for yourself.

For anyone who wants to know more detail about getting onto audio, E mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment